Sunday, October 12, 2008

Blessed

I had the privilege of taking my two nieces to church last Sunday. Lilly loved church. She was thrilled that she knew the songs and sang at the top of her lungs. Moriyah did to. We got done with a song and Mo said, "I sing to Jesus!!"

Lilly sat next to me and drew pictures to Hannah, all of which said I love you. Then she started a new one and leaned over and said, "I don't know how to spell God." I looked down and she had written I Love and then God.

Those were the two moments that I cried in church last Sunday. I cannot explain the difference I feel in hearing the faith of a child in song and in their trust. That faith often brings tears to my eyes. I love hearing how my children love God. Today I was blessed by a young girl who sat behind me and sang with gusto. She doesn't even know it but her worship was encouraging to me.

As a parent I have had the unfortunate experience of my kids saying something so embarrassing in public. They did not mean to offend anyone they just said what they had noticed. They have not yet learned how to filter their thoughts to be polite. Because of this I often think that compliments from young children feel more true. They don't know the social rules yet. I feel a little like that with faith too. They don't have to be excited or happy to be up early on Sunday at church, but they are. They don't have to write love notes to God or sing at the top of their lungs, but they do. Seeing that faith touches me, it seems incredibly genuine. I have been blessed these past two Sundays by children. Thank you Father.

No comments: